St. Louis Heating Contractor Cites Energy Savings Tips
If saving money is one of your New Year’s resolutions in 2014, then your home’s energy bill is an exceptional place to start. Hoffmann Brothers, a premier heating and air-conditioning contractor provides some helpful energy savings tips.
1) Replace light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). Annual energy savings of a CFL trumps that of an incandescent light bulb. These energy efficient light sources consume 30 to 70% less energy than a standard light bulb.
2) Sources at ENERGYSTAR report that the average American household consumes 25% of electricity from plugged in electronics. That’s an approximate $3 billion in wasted energy costs.
Resolution: Turn off any unused lights and unplug any devices that use electricity (toasters, hair dryers, light fixtures, computers, etc).
Block out drafts and air leaks with weather stripping. Consider insulation products with a higher R-value.
3) In the winter and summer, weather stripping helps maintain indoor temperatures while blocking outdoor air leakage.
4) Every 30 days, swap out the air filter to optimize your home’s energy savings. A dust laden air filter
interrupts the heating system from working properly. This debris accumulation triggers an air conditioner and heating system to exert extra energy, hence higher utility bills.
5) Control your household’s temperature according to its occupancy. During the day when the home is usually unoccupied, set the thermostat five degree lower. This energy savings tactic could trim as much as 15% off your annual heating and cooling cost.
6) Remember to use sunlight exposure to complement your home’s energy efficiency. You can also close a fifth of your home’s heating and cooling vents to complement energy efficiency, too.
7) To extend the life of your home’s comfort system and prevent any unplanned heating and cooling replacements, preventative maintenance offsets these expenses. Moreover, for every year the heating and cooling system goes unserviced, it loses 5% of its efficiency.
8) Always clip coupons for any household services such as heating and cooling.
Bookmark Hoffmann Brother’s heating and cooling coupon for your next house call.
We wish you and your family a Happy New Year.